This blog is co-authored by Jillian Kaplan, Head of Global Telecom and 5G Thought Leadership.
Sustainability is a non-negotiable for communication service providers (CSP). A recent study by the GSM Association tells us that CSPs spend 20 to 40% of OpEx on energy. With increasing pressure to reduce their carbon footprint, CSPs need to find innovative ways to manage their network infrastructure while keeping it reliable and efficient. Dell Technologies has a variety of products and solutions to help the telecom industry achieve their sustainability goals. And we aren’t talking about recycling – although we do that (that’s table stakes).
Dell Technologies Bare Metal Orchestrator (BMO) is a powerful software platform that automates the deployments and lifecycle management of bare-metal servers (or infrastructure network) at massive scale. BMO helps CSPs manage their network infrastructure all the way out to the edge in a more efficient and automated way, which can help reduce the time and effort required to manage infrastructure and improve overall performance.
Here are five ways BMO can help you achieve telecom achieve its sustainability goals:
- Energy Efficiency: CSPs can use BMO to monitor and manage server utilization. By optimizing server utilization, CSPs can reduce the amount of energy required to run their data centers and, in turn, reduce their carbon footprint.
- Resource Management: BMO can help CSPs manage their resources more effectively, which can help reduce waste and improve the sustainability of their operations. BMO can define consistency in processes around how the backup, data erase happens correctly and hence enable security and data breaches and feedback to the organization they need to plan the server procurements. For example, CSPs can use BMO to automate the provisioning and decommissioning of bare-metal servers, which can help reduce the amount of waste these servers generate. Servers that are no longer being used still use the energy and network bandwidth.
- Data Center Optimization: CSPs can use BMO to optimize the performance of data centers, which can help reduce the amount of energy required to run these centers. This can include optimizing the utilization of bare-metal servers, improving the cooling and ventilation systems based on the telemetry collected from the servers and reducing the amount of energy required to power the data center.
- Increased Agility: BMO can help CSPs be more agile in their operations, which can be especially important in a rapidly changing market. By automating the management of their infrastructure, CSPs can respond more quickly to changes in demand and ensure they have the resources they need to meet the changing needs of their customers. Examples include reduced downtime by enabling IT staff to respond quickly to issues and faults in the data center, deploy renewable infrastructure and adapt to changing sustainability requirements due to its flexibility and scalability. Furthermore, since BMO is software-based, CSPs can deploy servers remotely without traveling to the site, eliminating the carbon footprint of commuting.
- Future-proofing: By implementing sustainable practices and using tools like BMO, CSPs can ensure they are well-positioned for the future. As sustainability becomes increasingly important, CSPs that have implemented sustainable practices will be well-positioned to meet the changing needs of their customers and remain competitive in the market.
Using Dell’s Bare Metal Orchestrator can help CSPs optimize the utilization of bare-metal servers, manage resources more effectively and improve the performance of data centers, thereby reducing their impact on the environment and ensuring the long-term sustainability of their operations. Ready to get started? Learn more.